We’re looking for a dynamic, solutions focused LV/HV Fitter/Field Service Engineer to join our site services team, working across the UK and Internationally to carry out the installation, modification, and maintenance of switchgear, transformers and electrical distribution equipment.
R&B Switchgear Group has provided world-class power engineering solutions to a global client base since 1985. Specialising in the design, manufacture, installation and commissioning of LV and HV switchgear and associated assets, we provide turnkey solutions to some of the world’s largest blue-chip companies.
With group companies located throughout the UK, USA and Singapore, the company’s project management and service teams are continually working together to take on complex power distribution projects across international waters.
Your new role
Reporting to the Operations Manager, you will form part of the site services team, whereby you will be responsible for the hands on execution of electrical distribution projects. You will partake in activities such as the installation and maintenance of LV and MV/HV Switchgear, transformers and distribution equipment up to 33kV. It is therefore essential that the candidate is flexible and willing to travel both nationally and internationally, as this role involves traveling to sites across the UK, overseas and offshore.
- Delivering site-based activities in line with the Company’s service portfolio.
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a larger engineering team.
- Demonstrate excellent electrical fault finding and rectifications skills, along with good commercial awareness skills to provide top level customer service and technical support.
- Carrying out repairs and maintenance on switchgear and circuit breakers, replacing SF6 gas.
- Providing on-site or remote technical support to both colleagues and customers as and when required.
- Ensuring efficient, successful delivery of all assigned projects on time and to the highest standards., in line with company policies and customer expectations
- Complete all paperwork including reports, timesheets and expense claims in a timely and accurate manner to support the efficient processing of invoices.
- Creating and maintaining strong relationships with customers, understanding their needs and providing specialist support and solutions.
- Identifying opportunities for the development of new service applications, equipment and methods.
- Working with both new and heritage equipment including air, oil and vacuum circuit breakers and panels, as well as Whipp & Bourne equipment
- Ensure that issues and risks are escalated to Management to allow adequate investigation and resolution.
- Work swiftly and competently under pressure, ensuring that work is completed to the highest standards within the timeframes provided.
- Ensuring risk assessments and method statements are correct for the work involved and signed by all involved.
- Work pro-actively to spot and identify additional opportunities for the business whilst on site.
- Living the Company’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- This client-facing role requires strong people skills and experience in managing internal & external relationships. At R&B we have client partners who have worked with us for 20+ years and this is testament to the working relationships our team nurture and develop over time.
As industry specialists, we are looking for talented individuals who thrive on finding engineering solutions for our clients – from developing bespoke maintenance & electrical healthcare plans to working with our retrofit team to extend the life cycle of our clients’ assets.
The successful candidate will work closely with our projects team to ensure a seamless execution of work scope and objectives, delivering solutions on time, within budget and to the highest standards. You will continuously promote engineering excellence and embed a culture of HSSEQ.
What will you get in return?
As a business we value our people, because it’s our people who set us apart. As a member of our team, you’ll receive a wide range of benefits including;
- Competitive salary
- Annual performance-related bonus scheme and pay reviews
Investment in training/career development:
- Bespoke training and career development opportunities including professional qualifications and accreditation
A flexible working environment:
- Including an early Friday finish to help employees maximise personal time
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays)
Health & Wellbeing Benefits:
- Occupational Health Provider
- Company wellbeing workshops
- Access to mental health support and counselling
- Sick pay scheme for those days you need to rest and recover
- Auto-enrolment personal pension scheme which is matched by the company
- Employee referral scheme
- Commission scheme for engineers generating new enquiries
- Discretionary 2 week paid sick leave allowance after probation
- Social committee with calendar of regular social events – all paid for by the business
- Individual recognition and reward schemes including employee of the year celebration
- Free parking
Your skills and background
- A minimum of 2 years in a similar position within the industry or qualified at NVQ Level 3 as a minimum
- A strong background in Electrical Engineering with a thorough knowledge of switchgear maintenance and installation
- The ideal candidate should be experienced in the installation and maintenance of LV and HV electrical switchgear, transformers and a knowledge of electrical protection schemes.
- Knowledge and experience with retrofitting of LV and HV switchgear is advantageous
- Ability to advise and specify new equipment to replace heritage products
- Understanding of developing proposals for maintenance and service programmes
- Experience with switchgear and associated equipment – including knowledge of FAT and SAT processes
- Experience in negotiating contracts with clients and suppliers is advantageous
- Strong people skills and experience in managing internal & external relationships
- Ability to read and interpret technical CAD drawings is required
- Management capabilities and ability to help develop junior project engineers within the team
- Full UK Driving License is required
Our employees benefit from a great work environment, competitive salaries, unique travel opportunities and much more.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower everyone. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees.
If you have a passion for engineering, a hunger to learn and a positive work ethic then we want to hear from you!