We’re looking for a dynamic, solutions focused Electrical Test & Commissioning Engineer to join our team, working across the UK and Internationally to carry out the testing and commissioning of switchgear, transformers and electrical distribution equipment.
R&B Switchgear Group has provided world-class power engineering solutions to a global client base since 1985. Specialising in the design, manufacture, installation and commissioning of LV and HV switchgear and associated assets, we provide turnkey solutions to some of the world’s largest blue-chip companies.
With group companies located throughout the UK, USA and Singapore, the company’s project management and service teams are continually working together to take on complex power distribution projects across international waters.
Your new role
Reporting to the Head of Operations you will form part of the project delivery team, whereby you will be responsible for the hands on execution of both workshop and site based activities dependent on business requirements. You will partake in activities such as the repair, service, test & commissioning of LV, MV & HV Switchgear up to 33kV. It is therefore essential that the candidate is flexible and willing to travel extensively, as this role involves traveling to sites across the UK, as well as internationally and offshore.
- Delivering both workshop and site-based activities in line with the Company’s service and manufacturing portfolio.
- Demonstrate excellent electrical fault finding and rectifications skills, along with good commercial awareness skills to provide top level customer service and technical support.
- Perform commissioning, testing and maintenance of protective relaying equipment.
- Perform function testing of control circuits on relay panels, transformer, and circuit breakers.
- Perform end-to-end protection relay testing.
- Carrying out repairs and maintenance on switchgear and circuit breakers, replacing SF6 gas, as well as routine switchgear assembly.
- Complete all paperwork including reports, timesheets and expense claims in a timely and accurate manner to support the efficient processing of invoices.
- Creating and maintaining strong relationships with customers, understanding their needs and providing specialist support and solutions.
- Ensure that issues and risks are escalated to Management to allow adequate investigation and resolution.
- Ensuring risk assessments and method statements are correct for the work involved and signed by all involved.
- Travel and work at site outside of regular office hours as and when required.
- Living the Company’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
What you will get in return
As a business we value our people, because it’s our people who set us apart. As a member of our team, you’ll receive a wide range of benefits including;
- Competitive salary
- Annual performance-related bonus scheme and pay reviews
Investment in training/career development:
- Bespoke training and career development opportunities including professional qualifications and accreditation
A flexible working environment:
- Including an early Friday finish to help employees maximise personal time
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays)
Health & Wellbeing Benefits:
- Occupational Health Provider
- Company wellbeing workshops
- Access to mental health support and counselling
- Sick pay scheme for those days you need to rest and recover
- Auto-enrolment personal pension scheme which is matched by the company
- Employee referral scheme
- Commission scheme for engineers generating new enquiries
- Discretionary 2 week paid sick leave allowance after probation
- Social committee with calendar of regular social events – all paid for by the business
- Individual recognition and reward schemes including employee of the year celebration
- Free parking
Your skills and background
The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent people skills and have a strong background in electrical engineering, with at least 3 years’ experience within a switchgear service engineering role, carrying out testing and commissioning of LV, MV & HV switchgear up to 33Kv. Panel wiring experience is essential within this role.
You will demonstrate knowledge of:
- HV and LV switchgear, relays and associated equipment e.g transformers, circuit breakers, fuses, arresters, switches, automation, insulated power cables, overhead line conductors and insulators
- Power transmission and distribution systems
- Electrical prints, schematics and single-line diagrams
- Metering instrumentation hardware and software
Our employees benefit from a great work environment, competitive salaries, unique travel opportunities and much more.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower everyone. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees.
If you have a passion for engineering, a hunger to learn and a positive work ethic then we want to hear from you!