We’re looking for a dynamic, solutions focused HV Jointer to join our team, working across the UK and Internationally for R&B Switchgear Services Ltd.
R&B Switchgear Group has provided world-class power engineering solutions to a global client base since 1985. Specialising in the design, manufacture, installation and commissioning of LV and HV switchgear and associated assets, we provide turnkey solutions to some of the world’s largest blue-chip companies.
With group companies located throughout the UK, USA and Singapore, the company’s project management and service teams are continually working together to take on complex power distribution projects across international waters.
Your new role
As an R&B Switchgear Service Engineer you will demonstrate industry leading technical expertise in order to carry out HV cable joining and terminations on 11KV & 33 KV.
You will work swiftly and competently under pressure, leading to support complex projects, whilst ensuring that work is completed to the highest standards within the timeframes provided.
You will draw on your wealth of experience to carry out HV cable joining to install and connect a wide range of cables, accessories and substation switchgear / plant associated with distribution network. This could include the installation and termination of HV & LV Cables, installing switchgear, earthing, heavy duty cut outs, MSDB’s as well as small power and lighting.
As you hone your skills, you will attend training to ensure you have the necessary industry qualifications required to perform your duties. In this critical hands-on role, you will lead by example, upholding high professional standards and cleanliness whilst performing your duties. You will be expected to maintain and enforce stringent health and safety procedures whilst working on-site and in the workshop. You will also ensure more junior engineers are following procedure and will be held accountable if these are not followed by your team.
You will be expected to communicate with the senior clients and engineers whilst on-site, sharing regular progress updates and making them aware of any challenges or issues which may arise whilst carrying out your work. You will be solutions orientated, positive and proactive in your day-to-day tasks.
You will report to the Lead Engineer, working closely with the wider team to ensure you are fully briefed ahead of every project and have the relevant documents, visas, permits and flight details. It is your responsibility to check these documents and flag any potential issues before you depart.
You will be responsible for producing final reports to the high standards expected by our clients, ensuring all on-site documents and timesheets are finalised at the end of each project in line with internal procedures.
- Installation lead on projects, reporting to the site manager and project manager.
- Deliver the job to time frames and guaranteed service levels
- Carry out risk assessment and maintain safe working practices
- Ensure completion of projects to agreed specifications and timescales
- Test insulation, voltage, phasing rotation and continuity on cables
- Successfully pass audits on the work undertaken
- Comply with the relevant Health & Safety legislation, and protect your own safety as well as the safety of anyone who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.
- Carry out network switching operations on HV systems
- Identifies technical problems and makes analysis through remote or on-site activity in different Service categories.
- Consulting with and advising customers on the best service solutions in accordance with standard processes, procedures and safety guidelines.
- Creating and maintaining strong relationships with customers, understanding their needs and providing specialist support and solutions.
- Coordinating and executing specialist projects through planning, meeting milestones and regular reviews.
- Managing on-site job tasks and provide work direction to R&B subcontractors, technicians or/and associate engineers on projects.
- Managing office workload post site services. Ability to prioritise and submit all project documentation accurately and on time to enable appropriate billing processes
- Identifying opportunities for the development of new service applications, equipment and methods.
- Work swiftly and competently under pressure, ensuring that work is completed to the highest standards within the timeframes provided.
- Ensuring risk assessments and method statements are correct for the work involved and signed by all involved.
- Domestic and International travel will be required, as the role will require hands-on support at customer sites.
- Travel and work at site outside of regular office hours as required.
- Living R&B’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
What you will get in return
As a business we value our people, because it’s our people who set us apart. As a member of our team, you’ll receive a wide range of benefits including;
- Competitive salary
- Annual performance-related bonus scheme and pay reviews
Investment in training/career development:
- Bespoke training and career development opportunities including professional qualifications and accreditation
A flexible working environment:
- Including an early Friday finish to help employees maximise personal time
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays)
Health & Wellbeing Benefits:
- Occupational Health Provider
- Company wellbeing workshops
- Access to mental health support and counselling
- Sick pay scheme for those days you need to rest and recover
- Auto-enrolment personal pension scheme which is matched by the company
- Employee referral scheme
- Commission scheme for engineers generating new enquiries
- Discretionary 2 week paid sick leave allowance after probation
- Social committee with calendar of regular social events – all paid for by the business
- Individual recognition and reward schemes including employee of the year celebration
- Free parking
Your skills and background
- Trained to HNC/HND Electrical Engineering
- Your modern apprenticeship in an electrical area and a City & Guild 2330 or NVQ Level 2/3 in an electrical discipline
- Time served apprenticeship in mechanical/electrical engineering
- A grade C or above in maths essential
- Good basic knowledge of switchgear HV/LV an advantage
- Experience of field work
- Offshore platform experience an advantage
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Organisational skills
- Driving licence
- HV/LV cable termination/jointing course
Our employees benefit from a great work environment, competitive salaries, unique travel opportunities and much more.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower everyone. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees.
If you have a passion for engineering, a hunger to learn and a positive work ethic then we want to hear from you!